Codex Alimentarius Embraces Monsanto While Rejecting Natural Health at its Geneva Meeting
Written by the National Health Federation
Published: 07 August 2017
July 27, 2017
Codex meeting place in Geneva, Switzerland
“You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing.” – Thomas Sowell
Natural health was dealt another series of blows during the week of July 16-22, 2017, in Geneva, Switzerland at the Codex Alimentarius Commission meeting held in that Summer-hot city. There, the Commission decided to accept the miserably low daily levels for Vitamin D and Vitamin E that the Codex Nutrition committee had proposed to its parent body, the Commission. There, the Commission decided that glyphosate and many other pesticides posed no threat to human, animal or insect health. There, the Commission lost its way, clearly caving in to industry interests and abandoning its integrity and the values upon which it was founded.
Remember, the Codex Alimentarius Commission is a worldwide body that since 1963 has been setting food standards for international and, in many cases, domestic trade. Part of Codex’s strategic goals is for its food standards to be applied within every member country’s borders. The National Health Federation (NHF), a Codex accredited INGO, actively participates in Codex meetings by its persistently vocal insistence on decisions that will create optimal health and health freedom.
At this recent meeting, the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) decided the following:
- To set a Maximum Residue Level (MRL) for Lasalocid sodium (an antibacterial drug given to animals in their feed) over the objections of the European Union, Norway, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, Cuba, and NHF. The veterinary-drug industry was delighted because once an MRL is established for any drug, it can be freely sold worldwide.
- To set the Nutrient Reference Value (NRV) for Vitamin D at a miserable 5-15 micrograms (200-600 IUs) per day, thereby completely ignoring modern nutritional science that says much more is necessary for optimal health. Even Health Canada dictates a daily recommended allowance of 1,000 IUs per day! NHF strongly supported higher NRVs, as did the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN) and the European Industry Chemical Council (CEFIC).
- To set the NRV for Vitamin E at an even more miserable 9 milligrams (13.5 IUs) per day, while myopically focusing upon only the alpha tocopherol isomer of Vitamin E and ignoring the existence of the beta, delta, gamma tocopherols as well as the tocotrienols. Keep in mind that a recent study from 2015 showed that using a blood level of 30 micromoles/liter, 87% of persons 20-30 years old and 43% of those 51 years old and older had inadequate Vitamin-E levels. And that was in the United States with its 15 mg daily level! Again, Codex science is more than 50 years behind the times. NHF reminded Codex of its backwardness here. But NHF was not alone on this issue as Malaysia, China, Indonesia, and India also argued for more rational nutrition.
- To allow deadly Glyphosate (active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup®) and many other herbicides and pesticides to not only remain on the market but to be freely sold internationally. NHF was the only delegation to oppose glyphosate here.
- To kick the can down the road on the MRLs for recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST), which is hovering on the verge of acceptance; but if ever adopted at Codex, it would be a worldwide disaster as its use in cows causes major health issues for both animals and humans. For now, Codex has continued to table this issue.
- Elected a new Codex Chairman, Dr. Guilherme Costa, a veterinarian by profession, from Brazil. He replaces the outgoing Chairwoman Awilo Pernet, who was termed out. Highly regarded at Codex, Dr. Costa is unlikely to support the optimal health that NHF has strived for at Codex.
- Had multiple side-events, one of which included a short speech by the NHF president, Scott Tips, to the assembled Codex delegates, in which he challenged the delegates to act at Codex with Integrity. You can view this video by clicking on this link https://youtu.be/A8Ow1t3Wk7g.
NHF has worked hard to defend your health and your health freedoms everywhere, but especially at Codex meetings. For us to do that, we need your financial support. Please DONATE so that your voice can continue being heard. Without your support, our efforts will be greatly reduced or even ended. More importantly, who will speak out for your health and that of your family?
There is far too much collusion between the pharmaceutical and agricultural industries and the so-called government “regulators” who are supposed to protect the public. This corruption is pandemic and must be stopped. That is part of NHF’s mission.
To understand the full extent of the betrayal by Codex delegates of your health and health freedom at the Commission meeting this July, read the full report here.